Jeff's Potato Chowder With Leeks
|Baking potatoes||3 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (Large Sized)|
|Baking potatoes||3 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (5 Large Size)|
|Leeks||4 Medium, minced to make about 2 cups, rinsed well and patted dry|
|White of leek||4 Medium, rinsed well and patted dry, minced to make 2 cups|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth/Canned reduced-sodium chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs), reduced|
|Chicken broth/Canned reduced sodium chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Hot sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Adjust Quantity As Per Taste)|
|1% milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Non fat sour cream/Low-fat sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Nonfat / Low Fat)|
|Chives||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped|
1) Peel and dice potatoes.
2) In a large pot add potatoes with water enough to cover it.
3) Boil and simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes till tender.
4) In a large nonstick skillet heat butter, cook the leeks over moderately low heat for 5 minutes till softened.
5) Drain potatoes and place them into the pot.
6) Stir in broth and 2 cups of the water and heat.
7) Pour the content in blender in batches and puree about three-fourths of it. Let few cubes remain for texture. Avoid over blending the soup.
8) Add leeks, hot sauce, Worcestershire, milk, sour cream and salt and pepper (preferably white) —to taste. Heat the soup till hot.
9) Add additional water to get the desired consistency.
10) Serve hot or cold.
11) Garnish with chopped chives.
Calories 660 Calories from Fat 83
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.3 mg8.4%
Sodium 628 mg26.2%
Total Carbohydrates 131 g43.8%
Dietary Fiber 10.8 g43.1%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 18 g36.9%
Vitamin A 87.2% Vitamin C 105.7%
Calcium 31.3% Iron 49.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet