Manhattan Clam Chowder
|Salt pork/Bacon||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, chopped|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, peeled, diced|
|Carrots||2 , peeled, sliced thin|
|Celery stalks||3 , sliced|
|Parsley flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||12 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned clams/2 cups fresh, shelled clams||1 Pound (1 Can, With Liquid)|
|Peppercorns/Pepper to taste||2|
|Dry thyme||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. In a small skillet, sauté the salt pork or bacon until crisp and brown, about 7-10 minutes.
2. Remove fried pork or bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling.
3. In a slow cooker or crock pot combine pork or bacon with the remaining ingredients.
4. Stir to mix well to mix
5. Close pot tightly with its lid.
6. Simmer soup on HIGH for about 5 ours, or cook on LOW for about 8 hours, if you are preparing the soup for supper.
7. Ladle the hot broth with clams and vegetables into warmed soup bowls or cups.
8. Serve the soup hot accompanied with crusty bread.