New York Chowder
|Clams/24 fresh clams||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Salt pork slice||2|
|Leek||1 , sliced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), diced|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Clean the fresh clams with the aid of a brush.
2) Retain the juice of the canned clams after draining them. Keep it aside.
3) Take a saucepan and place the clams in it just covering them with water.
4) Simmer the contents of the covered saucepan for 10 to 15 minutes after bringing it to a boil.
5) Retain the juice of the clams after de-shelling them.
6) In another pan, melt the small pieces of salt pork cut into ¼ inch squares.
7) Brown the onion, garlic and leek for about 5 minutes.
8) Add 6 cups of water along with green pepper, celery, potatoes, carrots and clams.
9) Cover the pan and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes after bringing it to a boil.
10) Add the juice of the clams together tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, cloves, sugar, salt and pepper.
11) Simmer for another 20 minutes.
12) Serve immediately.
Calories 434 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.6%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.1 mg19.4%
Sodium 870.3 mg36.3%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.4%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.9%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 26 g51.7%
Vitamin A 104.8% Vitamin C 167.6%
Calcium 19.2% Iron 139.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet