|Shallots||2 , slivered|
|Dried tarragon||1 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salmon steaks||2 Pound (1 Inch Thick)|
|Lemon extract||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bacon slices||1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Cabbage||1⁄4 Small, cored and shredded|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter; add shallots and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned. Mix in tarragon. Add broth, bay leaf and lemon extract and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium.
2. Add salmon steaks in a single layer, pour in wine. Cover and cook over low heat until salmon flakes when tested with a fork (10 to 12 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook bacon in its own drippings until lightly browned. Remove from heat, drain on paper towel. Break each into bits.
4. Remove and discard bay leaf. Remove salmon steaks; discard salmon bones and skin and divide salmon into chunks and set aside.
5. Add cabbage and cream to soup. Stir occasionally over medium heat until cabbage is wilted and bright green (3 to 5 minutes). Gently mix in salmon. Taste, and add salt if needed.
6. Serve chowder hot, spooning several pieces of bacon into each bowl.