Special Corn Chowder
|Corn cobs||6 (2 cups/500 milliliter of kernels)|
|Bacon slab||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Sweet butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery stalks||2 , finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Potato||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. With a sharp knife, cut kernels from corn cobs; set them aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat bacon and butter. Cook, stirring about 4 minutes, until fat renders from bacon.
3. Add celery, onion and potato. Saute about 7 minutes, until potato is tender.
4. Stir in corn kernels. Stir and cook 2 minutes longer.
5. Add stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 40 minutes.
6. Combine flour, pepper, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk; stir until smooth. Gradually pour into corn mixture, stirring until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in remaining milk and cream.
7. Heat to warm through, but do not boil.
Soup freezes well before or after the addition of milk and cream.