Special Corn Chowder
|Corn cobs||6 (2 cups/500 milliliter of kernels)|
|Bacon slab||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Sweet butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery stalks||2 , finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Potato||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. With a sharp knife, cut kernels from corn cobs; set them aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat bacon and butter. Cook, stirring about 4 minutes, until fat renders from bacon.
3. Add celery, onion and potato. Saute about 7 minutes, until potato is tender.
4. Stir in corn kernels. Stir and cook 2 minutes longer.
5. Add stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 40 minutes.
6. Combine flour, pepper, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk; stir until smooth. Gradually pour into corn mixture, stirring until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in remaining milk and cream.
7. Heat to warm through, but do not boil.
Soup freezes well before or after the addition of milk and cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4282 Calories from Fat 1715
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 193 g296.7%
Saturated Fat 95 g475%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 525.1 mg175%
Sodium 2344.8 mg97.7%
Total Carbohydrates 590 g196.6%
Dietary Fiber 63 g252.1%
Sugars 122.7 g
Protein 130 g259.7%
Vitamin A 188% Vitamin C 320.7%
Calcium 88.3% Iron 104.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet