Lobster And Sweet Corn Chowder
|Cooked lobsters||3 Pound (2 nos, 750 g /1 1/2 lbeach)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 , finely chopped|
|Celery stick||1 , finely chopped|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Pint (1 litre)|
|Canned sweet corn||7 Ounce, drained (1 can, 200 g)|
|Small onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed (small)|
|Pancetta||2 Ounce, cut into small strips (50 g)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 ml)|
|Single cream||1⁄2 Pint (300 ml)|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, cut into 1.5 cm (3/4 inch) (1 kg)|
|Cayenne pepper||2 , diced|
|Tomatoes||4 , skinned, deseeded and chopped|
1. Cut the lobsters in half lengthways and remove and discard the greyish-green tomalley (the liver), the gills and the intestinal vein running along the back. Smash the claws and remove the meat. Cut up the remaining meat. Put the shells into a polythene bag and smash into small pieces with a rolling pin.
2. Put the butter into a large saucepan and melt over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until soft.
3. Add the herbs, measured water and pieces of lobster shell. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve.
4. To make the chowder, place two-thirds of the sweetcorn in a blender or food processor with the strained lobster broth and puree until smooth. Melt the butter in a large flameproof casserole, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
5. Add the pancetta and cook until golden. Add the pureed sweetcorn mixture, the milk, cream, potatoes and remaining sweetcorn. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Season to taste with cayenne, salt and pepper, then stir in the tomatoes and lobster meat. Heat through without boiling and serve in warmed soup bowls.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3769 Calories from Fat 1074
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 124 g190.3%
Saturated Fat 59.4 g296.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1270.8 mg423.6%
Sodium 7410.8 mg308.8%
Total Carbohydrates 346 g115.2%
Dietary Fiber 59.2 g236.7%
Sugars 66.1 g
Protein 352 g704.4%
Vitamin A 1123.1% Vitamin C 571.4%
Calcium 173.6% Iron 100.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet