Fragrant Clam Chowder
|Milk||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Minced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Diced potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned minced clams||13 Ounce, drained, reserve liquid (Two 6 1/2 Ounce Can)|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Liquid pepper sauce||3 Drop|
1. Combine milk and half-and-half in a 1-quart glass measuring cup. Heat uncovered in microwave oven until very hot (about 3 minutes at High). Set aside.
2. Put butter, celery, onion and green pepper into a 3-quart glass casserole. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 3 minutes at High, or until vegetables are tender; stir once.
3. Blend flour into the vegetable-butter mixture. Add the hot milk and half-and-half gradually, stirring constantly. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 4 1/2 minutes at High, or until boiling; stir once.
4. Stir potato, reserved clam liquid, salt and thyme into sauce. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 3 minutes at High, or until boiling. Stir. Cook uncovered 10 minutes at Medium; stir once.
5. Add clams, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce to mixture in casserole; stir. Heat uncovered in microwave oven to serving temperature (about 1 1/2 minutes at High, or if using Temperature Probe, set at 160°F and at High).
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1788 Calories from Fat 645
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.2%
Saturated Fat 41 g204.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 440.5 mg146.8%
Sodium 1729.5 mg72.1%
Total Carbohydrates 151 g50.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.2%
Sugars 24.5 g
Protein 122 g244.3%
Vitamin A 93.5% Vitamin C 234.4%
Calcium 110.2% Iron 593.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet