1. Wash the large potatoes and cut them into half, length wise with their skin on.
2. In a microwavable dish, place the potato halves with all the cut sides facing the same direction.
3. Pour half a cup of milk over it.
4. Cover it with a lid and microwave it on high heat for 11 minutes.
5. Take it out from the microwave and rotate the potato pieces so that the pieces on the outer side of the dish is placed inside and vice versa.
6. Microwave it again on high heat for another 11 minutes for the potatoes to get cooked completely.
7.Mash the potatoes with the skin. This gives texture to the chowder.
8. In another bowl take softened cream cheese and stir it till smooth.
9. To this add milk slowly stirring it continuously till it forms a smooth mixture.
10.Add this to the mashed potatoes along with butter and microwave for 3 to 5 minutes on high heat.
11. Take it out of the microwave and add grated cheddar cheese and sliced green onions along with salt and pepper.
12. Mix well till the cheese melts.
13. In a serving cup, serve this chowder with choice of toppings like chopped bacon, sour cream or broccoli.
It is important to rearrange the potatoes while microwaving them to help them cook evenly and completely. Milk should be added slowly to the softened cream cheese to avoid lumps.
Here is an excellent baked potato chowder recipe which would be perfect for those cold nights. The chef here provides very clear instructions to make potato chowder combined with other veggies and cheese. A super economical dish which could be prepared in less then 30 minutes.