Profiteroles with Hot Chocolate Sauce
|Butter||2 Ounce (50g)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 ml)|
|Pinch salt||To Taste|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Ounce, sifted (65 g)|
|Eggs||2 Large, beaten|
|Plain chocolate||4 Ounce, broken into pieces (100 g)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Corn flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint (150 ml)|
1) Preheat the oven to 220°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
2) In a pan, gently heat the butter, water and salt, until the butter has melted.
3) Bring to the boil, remove the pan from heat and immediately beat in all the flour.
4) Beat for 2 minutes until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
5) Allow to slightly cool, then gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla essence, if using.
6) Beat until the dough is glossy and smooth with a dropping consistency.
7) Spoon the mixture in a large piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch plain nozzle and pipe about 20 mounds slightly apart on a wetted baking sheet.
8) Bake in a preheated hot oven for 20 minutes, or until the profiteroles are golden brown.
9) Slit in the side of each profiterole and allow to cool quickly on a wire rack.
10) In a pan, combine all the chocolate sauce ingredients and heat gently until the chocolate has melted.
11) Stir vigorously until the mixture boils and thickened and smooth.
12) Remove from heat and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.
13) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Freeze the profiteroles, place in a freezer friendly container, separating each layer with foil, seal, label and freeze.
14) Pour the chocolate sauce in another freezer friendly container, seal, label and freeze.
15) Beat the cream and honey together until thick, fill the profiteroles and pile them up in a pyramid shape. Pour over the hot chocolate sauce and serve immediately.
16) If using the frozen dish, transfer the profiteroles to a serving platter and thaw at room temperature for 2 hours. Transfer the frozen chocolate sauce in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and reheat gently and serve as indicated in step 15.