Chocolate Heart Cookies
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter margarine/2 sticks /margarine - 1 cup, softened||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten (optional)|
|Nuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped (optional)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a baking sheet lightly.
3. Using a sieve, sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; keep aside.
4. In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla at medium speed until smooth and well blended.
5. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture, little at a time and beat at low speed after each addition.
6. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
7. Take out the dough from the refrigerator and divide into two halves.
8. On a clean surface or pastry cloth, flour lightly and roll half of the dough at a time until it is 1/8 inch thick.
9. Using a 3 1/4-inch heart-shape cookie cutter, cut out cookies.
10. With the same method, prepare cookies with rest of the dough making 40 cookie hearts.
11. Brush edges of half the cookies with egg white and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
12. Place the cookies over the cookie sheet with 2 inches space in between each.
13. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set.
14. Place the cookies on a rack and cool completely.
15. Serve them fresh or prepare Chocolate Heart Ice Cream Sandwiches using ice cream.
Calories 257 Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.8%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31 mg10.3%
Sodium 114.6 mg4.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 15.3 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 8.5% Vitamin C 0.02%
Calcium 1.6% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet