Chocolate Cream Slices
|For the cake:|
|Unsweetened chocolate||3 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Butter sticks||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened (1 1/2 Quarter-Pound Sticks)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the filling:|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||10 Ounce, broken / chopped into small chunks|
|Dark rum||4 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||7 Ounce, broken|
|For the glaze:|
|Fine granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||7 Ounce, broken / chopped into small chunks|
1) Set the oven temperature to 350Â°F before baking
2) Butter an 11-by-17-inch jelly-roll pan using a pastry brush or paper towel, and sprinkle the flour over the butter.
3) On a table, tap the edge of the pan to knock out the excess flour.
4) In a heavy 1-quart saucepan or in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water, over low heat, melt chocolate and keep it aside to cool to lukewarm.
5) Beat butter and 1/4 cup of sugar against the side of a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon until creamy and then beat continuously until the mixture is light and fluffy.
6) Mix in melted chocolate and then whisk in egg yolks, one at a time.
7) Take another mixing bowl, preferably of unlined copper and beat egg whites and a pinch of salt in it using a wire whisk or rotary beater until the whites cling to the beater.
8) Beat in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until the whites reach a stiff form stage, unwavering peaks.
9) Mix about 1/3 of the whites with the chocolate base using a rubber spatula and then spoon the chocolate mixture over the rest of the whites.
10) Top this lightly with flour.
11) Slowly mix the flour with this mixture until no white streaks are visible.
12) Into the prepared jelly-roll pan, pour the batter, spreading it evenly with a rubber spatula.
13) Bake it for 15 to 18 minutes in the middle of preheated oven until the cake shrinks slightly away from the sides of the pan and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
14) Take off the cake from oven and run a sharp knife around the sides to loosen it from the pan.
15) Place it on a rack to cool.
16) Take a heavy 1-quart saucepan and mix together cream and chocolate in it for the filling.
17) Mix this over medium heat until the chocolate dissolves.
18) Lower the heat to very low and boil, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture thickens into a heavy cream.
19) Into a bowl, pour it and then keep in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
20) Beat in rum and vanilla with a wire whisk or a rotary or electric beater when the mixture is very cold.
21) Continue beating until the filling is smooth and creamy and forms soft peaks when the beater is lifted from the bowl.
22) Ensure not to overbeat or the cream will turn to butter.
23) Half the cake to make two layers, each 8 1/2 inches wide.
24) Spread the filling over one layer, which will be about 2 inches thick.
25) Top with the other layer and keep in refrigerator on a rack for about 1 hour.
26) Take a heavy 1-quart saucepan and heat sugar, water and chocolate over medium heat in it, stirring constantly, until the sugar and chocolate are dissolved, for the glaze.
27) Take off the pan from the heat; cool the glaze, covered for about 20 minutes.
28) On a jelly-roll pan, set the rack holding the cake and pour the glaze over it by holding the saucepan with the glaze in it about 2 inches above the cake.
29) Keep the cake on the rack in refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes longer until the glaze is firm.
30) Cut into 35 small equal pieces using a sharp knife that has been dipped in warm water, 5 in each row across and 7 in each row down.
31) Ensure to rinse the knife and dip it again in warm water before each cutting.
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.7%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g61.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85 mg28.3%
Sodium 31.2 mg1.3%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.7%
Sugars 25 g
Protein 3 g6.7%
Vitamin A 9.4% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 2.5% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet