Dark Chocolate Cake With Mocha–Milk Chocolate Frosting
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Cocoa powder||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil/Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Strong coffee/Espresso||1 Cup (16 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For mocha milk chocolate frosting|
|Milk chocolate||6 Ounce, chopped / broken into 1 inch pieces|
|Instant coffee granules||2 Tablespoon|
|Whole milk||6 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||2 2⁄3 Cup (42.67 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch|
|Unsalted butter||10 Tablespoon, softened (1 1/4 Sticks)|
Directions for cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottoms and sides of the cake pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
2. Over a bowl or piece of parchment, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder together in a sifter or in a fine strainer by gently tapping your hand against the edge. Add the salt. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in the brown sugar, breaking up any lumps if necessary.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, coffee, and buttermilk. Add to the bowl with the flour and cocoa, whisking until evenly blended. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it evenly with the rubber spatula in the pan.
4. Bake the cake on the middle rack of the oven until a bamboo skewer or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
5. Cool the cake to room temperature. Spread the frosting (see below) on top of the cake. Cut the cake into approximate 3-inch squares for serving.
Directions for frosting
1. Melt the milk chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over (but not touching) a saucepan of simmering water (or use a double boiler if you have one). Stir and scrape the side of the bowl occasionally with the rubber spatula until the chocolate is smooth and evenly melted. Let cool to room temperature.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the coffee into the milk until dissolved. Sift the confectioners’ sugar in a sifter or by gently tapping your hand against the edge of a fine strainer directly into the bowl. Add the salt. Cut the butter into tablespoons and add to the bowl a few pieces at a time, stirring them in until they’re smooth. Add the cooled melted milk chocolate and stir in until combined.
3. Refrigerate the frosting until it’s spreadable, about 30 minutes.
This is an excerpt from THE FEARLESS BAKER by Emily Luchetti. Copyright © 2011 by Emily Luchetti. Reprinted by permission of Little, Brown and Company, New York, NY. All rights reserved. To purchase THE FEARLESS BAKER visit www.emilyluchetti.com