|Half and half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||10 Ounce, broken up|
|Cold unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into bits (Use 1 Stick)|
|Egg yolks||5 Large|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), divided|
|Egg whites||5 Large|
|Cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|Apricot preserves||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||8 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
1. Well grease two 8-inches round cake tins with butter and dust them with flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F to bake the cake.
3. Place a medium metal mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water.
4. To the bowl add half-and-half, chocolate and rum and stir until the chocolate has melted.
5. Take the bowl off the heat and beat in the butter in 3 batches, using a wire whisk or hand electric mixer.
6. In a clean glass bowl, beat egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of sugar until well aerated and pale yellow.
7. Using a plastic spatula or wooden spoon, gentle fold the egg yolk mixture into the chocolate mixture.
8. Then gently fold in the cornstarch into the chocolate mixture until incorporated
9. In another clean, dry and grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage and then gradually beat in the remaining sugar until the whites are stiff and glossy.
10. Fold in the stiff egg whites in two batches, into the chocolate batter being careful not to over beat.
11. Pour the batter equally into the 2 prepared cake tins.
12. Immediately place the tins in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a pick when inserted in the center comes out clean.
13. Remove the cakes from the oven when done and allow them to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack and cool to room temperature.
14. Once the cakes are completely cooled, place one cake on a plate or cake stand.
15. Spread the apricot preserve in a uniform layer, to cover the whole cake.
16. Top with the second cake, bottom side up.
17. For making the glaze, in a small saucepan combine the chocolate and melt over a low flame, stirring until smooth.
18. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly and then pour 1/3 of it to glaze the top of the cake.
19. Placing the saucepan with the remaining chocolate in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes to cool quickly.
20. Using an electric mixer beat the chocolate until thick and fluffy;
21. Using a pallet knife spread the chocolate around the sides of the cake.
22. Using a large pallet knife, carefully transfer the finished cake to a serving stand or plate.
23. Slice at the table.
Calories 956 Calories from Fat 535
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g94.8%
Saturated Fat 37 g185%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 242.3 mg80.8%
Sodium 69 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 105 g35.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.5%
Sugars 78.9 g
Protein 9 g18.3%
Vitamin A 28% Vitamin C 21.5%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 17.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet