Classic Chocolate Ice Cream
|Chocolate||7 Ounce, broken (bittersweet)|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until soft—not stiff. Set aside.
2) Beat the egg yolks until they appear to be the color of a lemon.
3) Dissolve the sugar in the water in a 6 cup pot on high heat. Let boil for 2-4 minutes (do not let water evaporate). Stir in the chocolate until it melts. The mixture should be extremely thick.
4) Add the hot chocolate to the egg yolks and beat until the mixture is smooth and thick. Stir until the mixture cools to room temperature.
5) Stir 2 tablespoons of the whipped cream into the room temperature chocolate. Stir in 3 more tablespoonfuls, one by one, until the chocolate's consistency matches that of the whipped cream. Fold in the chocolate to the remaining whipped cream.
6) Pour the ice cream into an ice cube tray, cover with foil and freeze for 2-4 hours until firm.