Chocolate Fruit Cookies
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Finely grated coconut||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (packaged)|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Make cookies day before, if desired:
1. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and coconut; blend will. Gradually beat in flour and vanilla.
2. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
3. On floured surface, roll out dough into rectangle 18-by-12-inches-by-1/8-inch thick. Cut into 36 cookies, 3 inches by 2 inches. Place carefully on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Bake about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
5. Cool on wire racks. Store, uncovered.
To top and decorate:
1. Drain 2 16-ounce cans cling-peach slices, reserving 1 cup juice. In small, heavy saucepan place 2 tablespoons cornstarch; stir in a little reserved juice; then stir in remaining juice and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Cool.
2. In second small, heavy saucepan, over low heat, place 1 1/4-pound bar German's sweet cooking chocolate and 2 tablespoons water; stir constantly until chocolate melts. Use to brush complete top of each cookie.
3. Now on each chocolate-glazed cookie, arrange a well-drained peach slice. Then top with either a drained, pitted prune half, or half a fresh strawberry. Next carefully spoon glaze over fruits and chocolate. Sprinkle edges of cookies with very finely chopped walnuts (you will need about 1 cup). Makes 36.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3101 Calories from Fat 1348
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 154 g236.7%
Saturated Fat 96.6 g483.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 574.3 mg191.4%
Sodium 100.4 mg4.2%
Total Carbohydrates 393 g131.1%
Dietary Fiber 10.8 g43.3%
Sugars 153.2 g
Protein 41 g81.8%
Vitamin A 89.2% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 11.9% Iron 89.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet