|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolks||2 , unbeaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Semisweet chocolate pieces||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 , unbeaten|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Make a day or two before:
1. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with 3 tablespoons sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating until well blended. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Press into greased 9-by-9-by-2-inch cake pan.
3. Bake 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, over hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate pieces; cool slightly.
5. In small bowl, beat egg whites with salt until frothy; then gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in ground almonds and chocolate. Spread evenly over baked layer; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
6. Bake 20 minutes, or until almonds are golden and cake tester comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan; cut into 16 squares. Store, tightly covered, at room temperature.
Raspberry-chocolate delights: Prepare as in steps 1 through 4, above. Spread baked layer with 1/2 cup raspberry jam, then continue as in steps 5 through 7.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3258 Calories from Fat 1613
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 180 g277%
Saturated Fat 75.3 g376.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 612.1 mg204%
Sodium 370.7 mg15.4%
Total Carbohydrates 350 g116.6%
Dietary Fiber 24.1 g96.3%
Sugars 133.2 g
Protein 65 g129.3%
Vitamin A 64.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 44.8% Iron 93%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet