|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolks||2 , unbeaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Semisweet chocolate pieces||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 , unbeaten|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Make a day or two before:
1. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with 3 tablespoons sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating until well blended. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Press into greased 9-by-9-by-2-inch cake pan.
3. Bake 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, over hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate pieces; cool slightly.
5. In small bowl, beat egg whites with salt until frothy; then gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in ground almonds and chocolate. Spread evenly over baked layer; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
6. Bake 20 minutes, or until almonds are golden and cake tester comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan; cut into 16 squares. Store, tightly covered, at room temperature.
Raspberry-chocolate delights: Prepare as in steps 1 through 4, above. Spread baked layer with 1/2 cup raspberry jam, then continue as in steps 5 through 7.