Warm Churros And Hot Chocolate
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Whole milk||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Bittersweet chocolate||7 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sugar||18 Tablespoon (1 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Quart (For Deep Frying)|
1. In a large saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil with the butter and 1/2 tea spoon of salt. Remove from the heat, add the flour and stir vigorously until incorporated. Return to moderate heat and cook, stirring, until the dough pulls away from the side, 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the dough at low speed for 1 minute, just until slightly cooled. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat in the eggs and egg white 1 at a time. Transfer the dough to a bowl, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate until cooled to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the milk with 1/2 cup of water until small bubbles appear around the edge. Add the chocolate, cocoa powder, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar and a pinch of salt and whisk over low heat until the chocolate is melted. Keep warm over very low heat.
4. In another large saucepan, heat the oil to 375°. Set a rack on a large baking sheet and cover with papertowels. In a pie plate, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon. Scoop the dough into a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
5. Working quickly, squeeze 6-inch lengths of the dough into the hot oil, cutting them off with a knife. Fry no more than 8 churros at a time; they expand a bit as they cook. Fry over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until browned, about 8 minutes. Drain on the rack for 2 minutes, then toss with the cinnamon sugar.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6363 Calories from Fat 3623
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 413 g636.1%
Saturated Fat 201.5 g1007.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1431.4 mg477.1%
Sodium 1199.8 mg50%
Total Carbohydrates 687 g228.9%
Dietary Fiber 85 g339.9%
Sugars 437.1 g
Protein 120 g240%
Vitamin A 154.5% Vitamin C 1.9%
Calcium 190.6% Iron 234.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet