Gateau Au Chocolat
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Broken walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Packaged)|
|Chocolate sour cream frosting||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Whole)|
1. Line three 8-inch layer cake pans with a double thickness of wax paper. (Do not grease pans.)
2. Beat egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed, until foamy-white and double in volume. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup of the sugar until meringue stands in soft peaks.
3. Beat egg yolks in small bowl of mixer at high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until mixture is very light and fluffy and falls in ribbons from beaters across batter, about 5 minutes. Lower speed; beat in water and vanilla.
4. Fold walnuts, bread crumbs and salt into egg yolk mixture until completely blended. Fold yolk mixture into meringue until no streaks of white or yellow remain. Pour into prepared pans, dividing evenly.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 15 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Invert pans over cake rack; let cool 20 minutes. Loosen cakes around edges with a small knife, then from bottom with small spatula. Be careful not to tear cakes (they are very delicate). Turn cakes out of the pans; peel off wax paper.
7. Reserve 1 cup chocolate sour cream frosting . Put layers together with a part of remaining frosting. Frost side with other part. Pipe reserved frosting through #16 star tip of decorating set onto top and side of cake. Decorate with whole walnuts, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3307 Calories from Fat 2062
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 232 g357.5%
Saturated Fat 26.9 g134.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1268.9 mg423%
Sodium 1673.1 mg69.7%
Total Carbohydrates 231 g76.9%
Dietary Fiber 29.1 g116.4%
Sugars 187.4 g
Protein 91 g181.1%
Vitamin A 29.4% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 40.3% Iron 92.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet