|Parsnips||1 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed and peeled (Even-Sized)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Quart (for deep frying, depending on fryer size)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste (Kosher)|
1. Using a large heavy knife, cut off a little of the thin ends so that the parsnips are fairly uniform in length. Cut off a thin lengthwise strip from each of the parsnips. Using a mandoline with the cutting blade set at 1/16 inch, starting with the cut side, slice the parsnips lengthwise into thin strips. Alternatively, cut the parsnips to fit into the feed tube horizontally and slice in a food processor fitted with an extra-thin blade. Immediately transfer the parsnip strips to a large bowl, cover with cold water and let soak for 1 hour.
2. Drain well and rinse the parsnip strips under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels.
3. Pour 3 inches of vegetable oil into a deep-fat fryer and heat to 425°. (The amount of oil you use will depend on the size of your fryer.)
4. Divide the parsnip strips into 4 batches. Place 1 batch in the fryer basket, lower the basket into the hot oil and fry just until the chips are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Lift the basket out of the oil; shake gently to remove any excess oil. Transfer the chips to several layers of paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining batches, checking the temperature of the oil and adjusting the heat, if necessary, to maintain 425°.
5. Season the chips with coarse salt to taste. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Calories 546 Calories from Fat 422
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.6%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g31.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 99.4 mg4.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.3%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 2 g4.1%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 48.2%
Calcium 6.1% Iron 5.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet