Guangzhou-Style Fried Chicken
|For the marinade|
|Red fermented tofu||1 Ounce (In Chili Oil)|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Other ingredients for the fried chicken|
|Chicken thighs||1 Pound, cut into long strips (Boneless, Skinless)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As required to get about 2-inches for deep frying)|
|Green onion/Pickled jalapenos||1 Medium, chopped|
1. Cut boneless, skinless chicken thighs into long strips. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, using a fork mash an ounce of the red fermented tofu into a paste.
3. Add 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp white pepper. Mix everything well and set aside.
4. Into the large mixing bowl with the chicken strips, add the prepared marinade and thoroughly coat every piece.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (1 - 4 hours).
6. In another medium bowl, mix 2 tbsp of cornstarch and a couple of eggs. Whisk it together.
7. Add the egg and cornstarch mixture to the marinated chicken and stir it until all the pieces are evenly coated.
8. In a wok, heat a couple of inches of oil to 350 - 365 F.
9. Working in batches, deep fry the chicken pieces for about 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Stir gently to prevent them from sticking to each other.
10. When done, remove them into paper towels.
11. Serve them inside steamed bao or serve them in paper cones garnished with chopped green onions. or pickled jalapenos.
Calories 256 Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.9%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 187.2 mg62.4%
Sodium 453.9 mg18.9%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.21 g0.85%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 26 g51.4%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 10.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet