Cantonese Salted Egg Yolk with Lotus Paste Mooncake
|Salted egg yolks||2 Medium, washed and rinsed|
|Mei kuei lu chiew||1 Teaspoon|
|All pupose flour||50 Gram, seived|
|Vegetable oil||18 Milliliter|
|Mooncake golden syrup||30 Gram|
|Lotus seed paste||270 Gram|
|For egg wash|
|Egg yolk||1 Medium|
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F.
2. In a baking bowl, place egg yolks and marinate with mei kuei lu chiew for 15 minutes.
3. In a bowl, place flour and make well in center.
4. Spoon vegetable oil, golden syrup and salt, in the center of the flour well.
5. Using rubber spatula, gently stir flour mixture, to make crust dough.
6. Wrap the crust dough in plastic film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
7. In a bowl, beat an egg yolk and milk to make egg wash, set aside.
8. Bake marinated egg yolks in oven for 10 minutes, if oil comes out during baking remove the egg yolks and allow to cool.
10. If using round mould, use half of lotus seed paste, make ball and press with thumb to make hole.
11. Fill salted egg yolk in the lotus seed paste and seal to make ball.
12. Do the same with remaining lotus seed paste and salted egg yolk.
13. Divide the chilled crust dough in two parts, about 42 grams each.
14. Flatten one part of dough with hand.
15. On working table, place dough with cling film and roll it, using rolling pin.
16. Wrap one stuffed lotus seed paste with crust dough.
17. Put the wrapped dough into round mould, seam side out.
18. Press the mould to shape the dough, on parchment lined baking tray.
19. Do the same with remaining crust dough and lotus seed paste.
20. Spray water over the moulded dough and bake 8 minutes.
21. Brush the half-baked mooncake with egg wash and rest for 2 minutes.
22. Apply the egg wash again.
23. Return the mooncake to oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
24. Serve Cantonese salted egg yolk with Lotus paste mooncake warm.
Baking time for egg yolks may vary depending on size and heat.
Depending on mould size, amount of filling and crust may differ.
If using square mould use 140 gram of lotus seed paste for each moon cake.
Can be store in air tight container for 2 days at room temperature or 1 week in refrigerator, microwave before serving.
Calories 698 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g23.9%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.1%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 93.3 mg31.1%
Sodium 232.7 mg9.7%
Total Carbohydrates 115 g38.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.68 g2.7%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 27 g53.2%
Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 24.6% Iron 34.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet