Chinese Moon Cakes
|For the dough|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Honey||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Maple syrup||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Optional)|
|Oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|For the filling|
|Chinese pumpkin||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla bean powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Oil||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Corn starch||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Mixed nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Craisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
1. Kabocha pumpkin is also called Asian pumpkin. Cut it into two halves and scoop out the seeds. Scoop out the flesh and keep aside.
2. Put the pumpkin in baking dish and cover it with aluminium foil and bake it for an hour until soft.
3. For cake dough, add baking soda and water in a bowl and mix it. Add honey and maple syrup into it. Add a pinch of salt and olive oil. Stir it well.
4. Now stirring the mixture well add cake flour into the bowl. Using a fork to mix the dough helps to avoid lumps. Now, mix the well with your hands.
5. Once the dough is ready, cover it with a plastic sheet and let it rest for an hour.
6. Take the baked pumpkins and scoop out the pulp. Take two cups of the pulp and make it smooth. You could either use a blender or you could just mash it. Pour about 2 teaspoon of oil in a wok and add the pumpkin mash. Add vanilla, cinnamon and sugar into the pumpkin
Cook it till the sugar is properly mixed. Sprinkle some corn-starch to thicken the mixture.
7. Turn off the heat and set aside.
8. Before starting the filling the moon cakes. Add chopped nuts into the pumpkin. Add shredded coconut too.
9. Make small balls of pumpkin and set aside on a plate.
10. Roll the cake dough on a flat surface lengthwise and cut it into equal pieces.
11. Roll each piece into a ball and give it a cup shape, now put the pumpkin ball into it and fold it firmly, make a ball of this stuffed dough and put it into moon cake mould. Push it gently.
12. Keep these moon cakes on a plate.
13. Pop these cakes into the oven at 350* for 6 minutes.
14. Mix egg yolk and oil in a bowl and brush it on moon cakes. You could also use honey water or maple water.
15. Bake it for 12 minutes and put it in broiler for 3 minutes.
16. Serve it hot.
17. These Moon Cakes are a must for Moon Festival.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6048 Calories from Fat 2153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 240 g368.7%
Saturated Fat 54.5 g272.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 185.1 mg61.7%
Sodium 1734.4 mg72.3%
Total Carbohydrates 928 g309.2%
Dietary Fiber 74.5 g298.1%
Sugars 474.3 g
Protein 101 g201.3%
Vitamin A 347.1% Vitamin C 40.9%
Calcium 76% Iron 44.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet