1) To make the coconut flavored cake, mix hot water and sugar, stir until sugar has completely dissolved. Stir in coconut cream and let the mixture cool.
2) Place the glutinous rice flour and rice flour in a bowl, add the coconut cream mixture and combine well.
3) Brush a dish with some oil, add the coconut mixture and steam for 20-25 minutes.
4) Let the cake cool for a few minutes, unmold onto a plate and then refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
5) To make the Chinese New Year cake, in a small saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a slow boil. Once the mixture starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, till the sugar has dissolved. Let the syrup cool slightly.
6) Sift glutinous rice flour and wheat flour twice. Add flour bit by bit into syrup, stir constantly along the way, and combine well.
7) Transfer batter to a greased cake mould. Place in a wok and steam over high heat, covered, for about 60 to 75 minutes.
8) Let the cake cool for some time and then unmold onto a plate. Chill for at least 3 hours.
9) When you are ready to serve the chilled cakes, quickly whisk the egg and coat the cakes with it. If preferred, slice the cakes before this step.
10) Fry the cakes over medium heat till brown on both sides.
11) Transfer to a serving plate and serve right away.