Checkerboard, Yin yang and Zebra Stripe Cookies
|Flour||130 Gram, sieved (White colour ingredients)|
|Butter||75 Gram, at room temperature (White colour ingredients)|
|Icing sugar||55 Gram (White colour ingredients)|
|Salt||1 Pinch (White colour ingredients)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large (White colour ingredients)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon (White colour ingredients)|
|Cocoa powder||20 Gram (Black colour ingredients)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) To make the white dough, add 75 gram butter to 130 gram flour, 55 gram icing sugar, pinch of salt and half egg yolk. Mix lightly.
3) Add the vanilla extract, knead and cover with cling wrap. Set aside.
4) To make the black dough, mix together 80 grams of flour with 60 grams of butter, 40 grams icing sugar, a pinch of salt and half egg yolk. Mix lightly.
5) Add the vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Knead the ingredients together. Cover with cling wrap and set aisde for few minutes.
6) Uncover the black and white doughs and then make 2 black pieces and 1 white pieces of dough, about 104 grams each. Put in the fridge for an hour.
7) In the meantime, you can make a cookie cutter with which to make yin yang cookies with the help of a pieces of metal taken from a tea light, in case you do not have an appropriate cutter already.
8) Take the doughs out of the fridge and shape the white dough into a block of 11cm x 4 cm x 2 cm. Cut into two blocks.
9) Shape each half of the chocolate dough into a log, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 8 to 9 inches long. Rolling it in a piece of wax paper on the counter will help make it smooth.
10) Place the doughs on the counter, on a piece of cling wrap, and use the cookie cutter to make a ying-yang shape (one side with black dough and one with white).
11) Place the unbaked cookies on a baking dish lined with baking paper and insert one ark chocolate chip into the vanilla side and one white chocolate chip into the dark side.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, till the cookies have puffed.
13) Remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
14) Serve the cookies as and when preferred. These make a delicious snack and go really well with tea, coffee and even sweetened milk.