Chinese Style Asparagus and Chicken Breasts
|Thin asparagus||1 1⁄2 Pound (fresh)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Chicken breasts||6 , boned and skinned, cut in 1 inch strips|
|Soy sauce||5 Tablespoon|
|Dark sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon (toasted or black, for garnish)|
1) Cut off the asparagus-€™s end tips to the point where they are no longer -€˜woody-€™. In case the asparagus are pencil thin, peel them to the bottom of the first flower.
2) Diagonally slice the asparagus into 1 ½ inch lengths.
3) Boil a pan of salted water and drop in the prepared asparagus. Cook for a few minutes, till barely soft and still crisp.
4) Drain the asparagus well.
5) To stop the cooking, run cold water over.
6) In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the chicken.
7) Over high heat, toss the chicken till it is cooked but still moist. This takes about 5 minutes.
8) Mix the soy sauce, sesame seed oil and sugar, if using, together to make the sauce. Till this point, the ingredients can be prepared in advance and mixed right before serving.
9) In a pan, put the chicken, sauce and asparagus and bring the contents to a boil.
10) Toss well and heat thoroughly. Toss the preparation with sesame seeds.
11) Transfer the hot preparation to a serving bowl and serve while still piping hot and fresh. Makes a good main course dish. Can also be served as an appetizer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2100 Calories from Fat 849
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 95 g145.8%
Saturated Fat 15 g75.2%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 598.5 mg199.5%
Sodium 4914.5 mg204.8%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.4%
Dietary Fiber 16.7 g66.6%
Sugars 24.1 g
Protein 261 g521.3%
Vitamin A 107.2% Vitamin C 84.1%
Calcium 43.8% Iron 143.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet