Fillet Beef Cantonese Style
Seasoned oil - about 1/2 pint (300 ml)
Spring onion - finely chopped to garnish
For the marinade:
Soft brown sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
Dark or light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Chinese rice wine - 2 teaspoons
Bicarbonate of soda or baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Thick cornflour paste - 2 teaspoons
Oil - 1 tablespoon
For the sauce:
Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon, finely chopped
Fresh ginger root - 1/2 teaspoon, finely chopped
Soft brown sugar - 1 teaspoon
Light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Worcester sauce - 2 tablespoons
Stock - about 1/4 pint (150 ml)
Thick cornflour paste - 1 teaspoon
1. In a bowl mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the beef for at least 2-3 hours.
2. In a preheated wok heat the oil and fry the steaks for 2 minutes, turning once, remove and drain.
3. Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the wok and add the ingredients (except the cornflour paste) to make the sauce.
4. Bring to the boil and braise the beef steaks in it for about 2 minutes.
5. On a serving plate, place the steaks thicken the sauce with the cornflour paste and pour evenly over the beef.
6. Garnish with the spring onion and serve hot.