Chinese Style Fruit Fritters
|Self-raising flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Pint (For Frying, 900 Milliliter)|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon, roasted|
|For the caramel|
|Sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Water||4 Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
1. Cut the bananas into chunks; peel, core and quarter the apples, then cut them into chunks.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and make a well in the center.
3. Add water and add the egg yolks, then beat in the flour to make a smooth batter.
4. Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, and then fold them into the batter.
5. In a skillet, heat oil for deep-frying up to 190* C/375/* F.
6. Dip the pieces of fruit, a few at a time, into the batter and then cook them in the hot oil until crisp and golden.
7. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
8. When you are about three-quarters of the way through cooking the fritters, place the sugar for the caramel in a saucepan with the water and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
9. Boil the sugar syrup hard until it reaches a light caramel - do not stir it at all once it starts boiling.
10. Place them slightly apart on a large, lightly oiled platter and drizzle the caramel over them, turning them over with a fork to coat the other side in a little caramel.
11. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Calories 1972 Calories from Fat 1650
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 187 g287.4%
Saturated Fat 24.8 g124.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg35.2%
Sodium 397.2 mg16.6%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 43.7 g
Protein 8 g16.3%
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 14.5%
Calcium 19% Iron 17.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet