Liver Hot Pot
|Liver||1 Pound, cut into thin strips (450 gram)|
|Flour||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Bacon rashers||4 , rinds removed and chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Dried mixed herbs||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, peeled and finely sliced (1 kilogram)|
|Freshly chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2) Dredge the liver in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper, until thoroughly coated.
3) In a flameproof casserole dish, saute the liver and onions in butter for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
4) Stir in the bacon, tomatoes and herbs (if using), mix thoroughly.
5) Then cover with the sliced potatoes and pour in water.
6) Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
7) Uncover and cook for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are browned.
8) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Cover the casserole, then wrap in a freezer bag or foil , seal, label and freeze.
9) Sprinkle with parsley and serve the Liver Hot Pot straight from the casserole.
10) If using the frozen dish, unwrap, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Then reheat in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4 for 1 hour, or until thoroughly heated. Serve hot or as indicated in step 9.