Kung Pao Chicken Cantonese Style
|Skinless chicken breasts||16 Ounce (2 breasts, 8 ounces each)|
|Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Chinese rice wine||2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dark soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Chinese rice wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried red chili peppers||8 Small|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for stir-frying, or as needed)|
|Szechuan peppercorn||1 Teaspoon|
|Peanuts/Cashews||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sesame oil||3 Drop (a few)|
1. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Combine with the Soy sauce, 2 teaspoon rice wine, sesame oil and cornstarch. Marinate the chicken for 25 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the dark soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar for the sauce. Set aside.
3. Cut the chilies in half so that they are approximately the same size as the chicken cubes. Remove the seeds. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Cut the green onion on the diagonal into thirds.
4. Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Stir-fry until it turns white and is 80 percent cooked. Remove from the wok.
5. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the chili peppers and the Szechuan peppercorn if using. Stir-fry briefly until they turn dark red.
6. Add the bowl with prepared sauce to the wok. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken back into the pan.
7. Stir in the peanuts and the green onion. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
8. Serve hot.
Calories 1727 Calories from Fat 1484
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 169 g259.3%
Saturated Fat 22.3 g111.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 87.7 mg29.2%
Sodium 802.2 mg33.4%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 42 g84.5%
Vitamin A 21.2% Vitamin C 12.2%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 14.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet