Chinese Braised Mackerel
|Rice wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Low sodium soy sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thin ginger root slices||3 , peeled and julienned|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Mackerel fillets||1 Pound|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White icicle radishes||3 , julienned|
|Carrot||1 Large, julienned|
|Scallions||5 , julienned|
1) In a glass-baking dish, mix together the vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
2) Place the mackerel, skin-side up, in a single layer in the baking dish.
3) Let the fish marinate for at least 10 minutes.
4) In a large non-stick frying pan, bring the stock to a boil.
5) Simmer and add the mackerel, skin-side up, along with the marinade.
6) Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
7) Add the radishes and carrots.
8) Simmer for 3 minutes.
9) With a perforated ladle, transfer the mackerel and vegetables to a serving platter.
10) Boil the liquid until reduced by half.
11) Pour the sauce over the fish and sprinkle with the scallions.