Chinese Almond Cakes
|Sifted flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole blanched almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Combine and sift the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
2) With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the shortening till the mix resembles corn meal.
3) Add in the egg, water, and almond extract.
4) Stir till mix leaves the sides of the bowl.
5) Knead to a smooth dough.
6) Refrigerate for 1 hour.
7) Pull off and roll walnut-sized balls.
8) Flatten with hands to about 1/2-inch thickness.
9) In the center of each cookie, push in an almond.
10) Place in the oven and bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes.
11) Serve as a tea-time snack.