Chinese Chicken Casserole
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Ginger piece||1⁄4 , minced (Fresh Ones)|
|Long grain converted rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Boneless skinless chicken thighs||1 1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Rice vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Light soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chinese five spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Cashew nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Unsalted)|
|Fresh snow peas||8 Ounce|
1. Preheat the oven to 375Â°F.
2. Heat the oil in a 4-quart enameled cast-iron casserole over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and rice. Cook, stirring continuously, until the rice kernels turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the chicken is almost cooked through, 1 minute more.
3. Add the vinegar and cook until it is almost entirely evaporated, just a few seconds. Then add the broth, soy sauce, five-spice powder, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, cover, and transfer the casserole to the oven.
4. Bake until the rice is soft and has absorbed all the liquid and the chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes. While the rice and chicken are cooking, chop the cashews. Bring 2 quarts salted water to a boil and blanch the snow peas for 1 minute; drain and set aside.
5. Remove the casserole from the oven, stir in the snow peas, and adjust the seasoning. Garnish each portion with cashews.
Calories 1306 Calories from Fat 596
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g105.7%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 275.1 mg91.7%
Sodium 3281.8 mg136.7%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.7%
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 79 g157.8%
Vitamin A 26.7% Vitamin C 127.7%
Calcium 29.7% Iron 57.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet