Chinese Lemon Chicken
|Fresh ginger slices||2 , minced (1/4 Inch Each)|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boneless chicken breast halves||6 Small, skinned|
|Lemons||2 Large (Or 3 Medium Sized)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Or To Taste)|
|Vegetable oil/Peanut oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||3 Medium, peeled and julienned|
|Defatted chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Homemade Or Canned)|
|Green pepper||1 Small, julienned|
|Sweet red pepper||1 , julienned|
|Scallions||6 , julienned (The White And 2 Inches Of The Green)|
|Rice vinegar/White wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Iceberg lettuce head/Romaine lettuce head||1⁄2 , shredded|
1. In a shallow glass bowl or a plastic bag, mix the ginger and soy sauce.
2. Put the breasts inside and marinate in the liquid for 1 or 2 hours, turning them once in a while.
3. Drain the liquid and discard it.
4. Carefully peel one of the lemons, only removing the yellow zest.
5. Finely julienne the zest and keep aside.
6. Grate the zest of the other lemons till you get around 2 teaspoons of grated zest.
7. Squeeze out 1/4 cup juice from the lemons and keep aside.
8. In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch with the salt and egg white.
9. Place the chicken breasts on this mixture and coat them.
10. In a large skillet, heat the oil.
11. Add the chicken breasts to the hot oil.
12. Saute them for 4 minutes and turn them over.
13. Saute for 4 minutes more.
14. Remove the breasts from the skillet and keep warm.
15. In the same skillet, add the carrots.
16. Stir fry the carrots for 1 minute.
17. Add the chicken broth to the carrots.
18. Bring the mixture to a boil.
19. Now add the lemon zest julienne and cover the skillet.
20. Cook for 3 minutes more.
21. Remove the cover, and add the green and red pepper strips.
22. Stir them and cook for 1 minute.
23. Next, add the scallions.
24. Cook for 1 more minute.
25. In a small stainless-steel or enameled saucepan mix the sugar and remaining cornstarch.
26. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and grated lemon zest and stir everything in.
27. Place the saucepan on heat and bring to a boil, stirring, until the sauce is thick.
28. Pour this sauce on the vegetable mixture in the skillet.
29. Cook the mixture for 30 seconds.
30. On a warm serving platter, make a bed of the lettuce.
31. Cut the breasts crosswise in 1-inch-thick strips.
32. Arrange the strips symmetrically on the lettuce.
33. Pour the sauce over them and serve at once.
34. You can serve it with boiled rice on the side.
Do not take an aluminum saucepan to make the sauce.
Calories 276 Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.8%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.3 mg16.4%
Sodium 995.8 mg41.5%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.7%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 23 g46.5%
Vitamin A 121.7% Vitamin C 109.2%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 10.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet