|Duck||6 Pound, pounded (1 Large Bird)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Sesame seed oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Hoisin sauce/Plum sauce||5 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seed oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Superfine sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Dry the skin of the uncooked duck.
3. Wipe and pat it dry.
4. The essence of Peking duck is its crisp skin, which is stripped off the cooked duck and served separately. Take string and pass it under the wings such that it can be hung from a broom handle placed across the seats of two chairs or from a rod.
5. Place a plate under the duck to trap any drips.
6. To fasten the drying process, rub the skin with spirited liquor like vodka, brandy or gin.
7. Dry the duck for about 3-4 hours and support the process by directing blast of air onto it. Or hang the duck at drafty place for about 8 hours or overnight.
8. Get rid of the blemished leaves and roots of the scallions. Trim them to a length of 3 or 4 inches.
9. Wash the scallions thoroughly.
10. Make two cuts ½ or ¾ inch cuts at the bulb of each scallion using a sharp knife. Make two identical cuts in right angle to the first cuts.
11. Add the scallions to the large bowl with iced water and refrigerate it until required. At this juncture the scallion will appear like a brush at the cut ends.
12. For preparing the pancake: Take a bowl and sift the flour into it.
13. Boil about 2 ½ cups of water and mix it with dough only enough to make a soft dough which can easily leave the sides of a bowl.
14. Spread the dough on a floured surface and knead it until it becomes rubbery.
15. Cover the dough with a cloth and set it aside for about 20 minutes.
16. Roll out the dough with ¼ inch thickness on a floured surface. Run the plain 2-inch cookie cutter through the dough to cut it into rounds.
17. Brush sesame seed oil on the top in half and place the unbrushed round on the top.
18. Roll out the pancakes thinly about a diameter of 6 inches.
19. Take a heavy skillet or ungreased griddle and heat it for about half a minute. Add first pair of pancakes by lowering the heat. When bubbles start appearing on the surface turn them. The underside of the pancake looks floury and brown.
20. Cook pancakes until they puff up and cool it.
21. Wrap them in several foils and refrigerate them until needed.
22. Take a small pan and mix all table sauce ingredients. Add sauce and 1 tbsp cold water and boil it over low heat for about 2-3 minutes. Continue to stir the mixture during the boiling period.
23. Add the sauce to a serving bowl.
24. Combine ingredients for basting sauce with ½ cup cold water and brush the sauce over the duck.
25. Take a roasting pan and place the duck on it with the breast pointing upwards.
26. Add enough boiling water to end up on the sides of the pan.
27. Roast the lower part of the duck for 1 ¼ hours at 400°F.
28. Use basting sauce and brush it over the duck every 15-20 minutes.
29. Increase the heat to 450°F after every 45 minutes.
30. Add the prepared pancakes to the oven and reheat them.
31. Cut off the duck skin using sharp knife or scissor and chunk them into 1-2 inch squares. Arrange them over the serving dish and maintain its warmth.
32. Cut out long thin slivers of the dish and maintain its warmth by arranging it over another dish.
33. Stock the pancakes on a hot dish and cover it with a folded cloth or napkin to maintain its warmth.
34. Put the scallion brushes in a dish or bowl and position all these dishes with the table sauce on the table.
35. Split the pancake and brush it with a sauce on the liberally onto the soft moist side.
36. Top it with the pieces of the duck skin and slivers of the meat. Roll up and fold up the pancake.
37. Serve immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8396 Calories from Fat 4153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 462 g710.2%
Saturated Fat 144.1 g720.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2179.4 mg726.5%
Sodium 6170.7 mg257.1%
Total Carbohydrates 472 g157.2%
Dietary Fiber 23.1 g92.4%
Sugars 61.7 g
Protein 537 g1073.9%
Vitamin A 101.8% Vitamin C 321%
Calcium 44.1% Iron 790.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet