Chinese Style Braised Beef One Pot
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), thinly sliced|
|Fresh ginger root piece||1 , peeled and shredded (Good Thumb Size Piece)|
|Spring onions||1 Bunch (100 gm), sliced|
|Red chili||1 , deseeded and thinly sliced|
|Braising beef||53 Ounce, cut into large pieces (The Recipe Has Used Ox Cheek, 1 1/2 Kilogram, 3 Pound 5 Ounce)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon, well seasoned|
|Chinese five spice powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Light muscovado sugar||2 Teaspoon (Or Use Whatever You Have Got)|
|Chinese cooking wine/Dry sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Dark soy sauce||4 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Extra For Serving)|
|Beef stock||18 Fluid Ounce (500 Milliliter, You May Use Knorr Touch Of Taste)|
|Steamed bok choy||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
|Steamed basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
1) Pre-heat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas mark 2.
1) In a large and shallow casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli and sauté for 3 mins till they become soft and aromatic. Transfer it to a plate.
2) In the same pan, add a teaspoon of oil. Add a batch of meat and a spoonful of flour. Brown the beef. Add an another spoonful of oil if you like. It will take about 5 mins to brown each batch of meat. Remove all the beef and set aside.
3) In the same pan, add in the five-spice and star anise. Add the ginger-garlic-chili mix. Sauté for a minute till the spices emit a good aroma.
4) Add the wine or sherry. Scuff up any meaty bits sticking to the pan.
5) Add the soy and stock and bring it to a simmer.
6) Cover the casserole tightly, and bake for 1 1/2-2 hrs, stirring the meat once halfway through. The meat should be cooked and tender.
7) Remove from heat and add more soy to season.
8) Add the cooked bok choi into the pan and nestle it with the meat.
9) Serve the dish with cooked basmati rice straight away.