Chinese Style Poached Fish Fillets
|Scallions||2 , split lengthwise|
|Ginger slices||1 , quartered|
|Minced ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Flounder fillets/Sole fillets||8 Pound|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), lightly crushed and peeled|
|Cornstarch||4 Teaspoon, blended with 2 tablespoon water|
|Dark sesame oil||1 Tablespoon (Oriental Variety)|
1. In a Dutch oven, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the scallions, sliced ginger, and 2 tablespoons of the sherry.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and remaining 1 tablespoon sherry.
3. Add the fish to the boiling water, cover, and remove from the heat. The fish should be done in 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, depending on their thickness. Gently lift the fillets out, one at a time, with a wide slotted spatula. Drain well and arrange on a serving platter; cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
4. In a small saucepan, warm the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and minced ginger, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Discard the garlic. Add the sherry-soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Stir the cornstarch mixture thoroughly and slowly add it to the sauce, stirring constantly to prevent lumping. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
6. Pour the sauce over the fish and serve hot.
Calories 1470 Calories from Fat 676
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g115.6%
Saturated Fat 27.1 g135.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 512 mg170.7%
Sodium 3318.1 mg138.3%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g26%
Dietary Fiber 0.47 g1.9%
Sugars 37.5 g
Protein 116 g232.8%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 4.1%
Calcium 20.6% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet