Chinese Style Chicken Salad
|Boneless chicken breasts||24 Ounce (4 Breasts, About 175 Gram / 6 Ounce Each)|
|Dark soy sauce||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Chinese five spice powder||1 Pinch|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 , peeled and cut into matchsticks|
|Salt||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Sunflower oil||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Sesame seeds||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Dry sherry||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Carrots||2 , cut into matchsticks|
|Spring onions||8 , shredded|
|Bean sprout||3 Ounce (75 Gram, 1 Cup)|
|Crunchy peanut butter||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Lemon juice||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Sesame oil||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Hot chili powder||1 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/4 Teaspoon)|
|Spring onions||1 , finely chopped|
1. Place the chicken portions in a large saucepan and just cover with water. Add 15 ml / 1 tbsp of the soy sauce, the Chinese five-spice powder and lemon juice, cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the cucumber matchsticks in a colander, sprinkle with the salt and cover with a plate with a weight on top. Leave to drain for about 30 minutes - set the colander in a bowl or on a deep plate to catch any drips that may fall.
3. Lift out the poached chicken with a slotted spoon and leave until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard the skins and bash the chicken lightly with a rolling pin to loosen the fibres. Slice into thin strips and reserve.
4. Heat the oils in a large frying pan or wok. Add the sesame seeds, fry for 30 seconds and then stir in the remaining 45 ml / 3 tbsp soy sauce and the sherry. Add the carrots and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes, until just fender. Remove the wok or pan from the heat and reserve until required.
5. Rinse the cucumber well, pat dry with kitchen paper and place in a bowl. Add the spring onions, beansprouts, cooked carrots, pan juices and shredded chicken, and mix together. Transfer to a shallow dish. Cover and chill for about 1 hour, turning the mixture in the juices once or twice.
6. For the sauce, cream the peanut butter with the lemon juice, sesame oil and chilli powder, adding a little hot water to form a paste, then stir in the spring onion. Arrange the chicken mixture on a serving dish and serve with the peanut sauce.
Calories 469 Calories from Fat 221
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g39.2%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98.7 mg32.9%
Sodium 1511.8 mg63%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 45 g90.6%
Vitamin A 112.1% Vitamin C 24.8%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet