Red-Cooked Tofu With Chinese Mushrooms
|Firm tofu||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
|Dark soy sauce||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Chinese rice wine/Dry sherry||30 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Soft dark brown sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Grated root ginger||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon, Fresh Ones)|
|Chinese five spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed szechuan peppercorns||1 Pinch (Ground Roasted)|
|Dried black mushrooms||6 (Chinese Variety)|
|Groundnut oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Onions spring||6 , sliced into 1 inch lengths, white and green parts separated|
|Fresh basil leaves||4 Small (For Garnish)|
|Rice noodles||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
1. Drain the tofu, pat dry with kitchen paper and cut into 2.5cm/ in cubes. Place in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar, garlic, ginger, five-spice powder and Szechuan peppercorns. Pour the marinade over the tofu, toss well and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes. Drain, reserving the marinade.
2. Meanwhile soak the dried black mushrooms in warm water for 20-30 minutes until soft. Drain, reserving 90ml/6 tbsp of the soaking liquid. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the mushrooms, remove the tough stalks and slice the caps. In a small bowl, blend the cornflour with the reserved marinade and mushroom soaking liquid.
3. Heat a wok until hot, add the oil and swirl it around. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until evenly golden. Remove from the wok and set aside.
4. Add the mushrooms and white parts of the spring onions to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Pour in the marinade mixture and stir for 1 minute until thickened.
5. Return the tofu to the wok with the green parts of the spring onions. Simmer gently for 1-2 minutes. Scatter over the basil leaves and serve at once with rice noodles.