Chinese Beef Saute
|White rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thinly sliced carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Lean beef flank steak||1⁄4 Pound, well-trimmed, cut into thin strips|
|Green bell pepper||2 , cut into thin strips (1 Red And 1 Green)|
|Chopped scallions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Shredded chinese cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Water chestnuts||16 , thinly sliced|
|Reduced-sodium soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Japanese rice vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and stir in the rice. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Blanch the carrots in the boiling water 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender; drain, cool under cold running water and set aside to drain thoroughly.
3. When the rice is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the beef and saute 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a small bowl and set aside.
5. Add the bell peppers, scallions and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add the carrots, cabbage, mushrooms and water chestnuts, increase the heat to high, and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes. Add this mixture, the rice and the beef to the skillet, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes, or until all the ingredients are heated through.