Chinese Chicken Salad
|Boneless chicken breasts||1 Pound|
|Peanut oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole green onions||5 , 1 halved and 4 thinly sliced on the diagonal|
|Ginger slice||1⁄4 Inch, crushed (Fresh)|
|Dry sherry/Rice wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Head of lettuce||1 Small, torn in small pieces|
|Cucumber||1 , seeded, thinly sliced|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon, toasted|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice wine vinegar||6 Tablespoon|
1) In a stockpot, place chicken with water, 1 whole green onion cut into half, ginger, sherry, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
2) Heat the chicken mixture and bring to boil.
3) Put the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
4) Take the pot away from heat and allow to cool.
5) Pass the broth through cheese cloth and save for soup.
6) Shred chicken, allow to cool, cover and refrigerate until needed.
7) In a wok, heat little vegetable or peanut oil until hot.
8) Stir in small bunches of maifun and saute until crisp.
9) Using slotted spoon remove maifun and drain on paper towels.
10) In a salad bowl, place lettuce with cold chicken, cucumber, sesame seeds, and remaining onions.
11) Top the chicken mixture with fried maifun.
12) In a jar with tight fitting lid, place together mustard, sugar, vegetable oil, sesame oil, rice-wine vinegar, and remaining salt and pepper.
13) Put the lid tightly and shake well until mixed.
14) Stream the vinegar mixture over salad and toss gently.
15) Serve the salad with toasted white and black sesame if desired.
Calories 481 Calories from Fat 294
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.5%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.6 mg17.5%
Sodium 509.1 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.1%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 23 g45.6%
Vitamin A 50.1% Vitamin C 21.4%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet