Deep Fried Steamed Aromatic Squab
|Dried bean curd stick||1|
|Fresh ginger root slices||2|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Bamboo shoots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Soak dried bean curd.
2. Wipe squabs with a damp cloth and dry well with paper toweling.
3. Heat oil. Add squabs, one at a time, and deep-fry, turning and basting, until light golden. Drain on paper toweling.
4. With a cleaver, chop squabs, bones and all, in 1- by 2-inch pieces. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Slice ginger root, mince scallion; and add, along with soy sauce, sherry, star anise and cinnamon stick.
5. Steam 30 minutes
6. Meanwhile slice bamboo shoots and soaked bean curd. Cut remaining scallion stalks in 1-inch sections. Blend cornstarch and cold stock to a paste.
7. Heat oil. Add bamboo shoots, bean curd and scallions. Stir-fry to cook through (3 to 4 minutes).
8. Stir in salt. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Pour over squabs in their steaming bowl