Deep Fried Marinated Crabs
|Dried black mushrooms||6|
|Soft shelled crabs||6|
|Fresh ginger slice||2|
|Sesame oil||3 Drop|
|Bamboo shoots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water chestnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Snow peas||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chinese cabbage stems||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Head of lettuce||1⁄2|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Clean crabs and, with a cleaver, chop each in 4 pieces.
3. Mince garlic and ginger root; then combine with soy sauce, sherry, water and sesame oil. Add to crab sections and let stand 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain, reserving marinade.
4. Meanwhile shred bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, snow peas, Chinese cabbage stems and soaked mushrooms. Crush remaining garlic. Cut lettuce in strips.
5. Beat eggs lightly; then combine with flour and beat to a smooth batter. Add salt and pepper; beat 1 minute more. Dip crab sections in batter to coat.
6. Heat oil. Add crab sections, a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden. Drain on paper toweling. Keep warm.
7. Heat remaining oil. Add remaining salt, then crushed garlic; stir-fry a few times. Add shredded vegetables (but not lettuce) and stir-fry 2 minutes.
8. Add crab marinade and stir-fry 2 minutes more. Stir in stock and heat quickly. Then simmer, covered, over medium heat, another 2 minutes.
9. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and sugar to a paste with remaining soy sauce and water. Then stir in to thicken.
10. Arrange crabs on shredded lettuce. Pour sauce over and serve, either with lemon slices or a vinegar dip