Steamed Deep Fried Squab
|Tangerine peel piece||1 , dried|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Ginger root slice||2|
|Star anise||1⁄4 Teaspoon, powdered|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Soak dried tangerine peel.
2. Mince garlic, ginger root, scallions and soaked tangerine peel; then, combine with salt, cinnamon and star anise, mixing well.
3. Wipe squabs with a damp cloth. Coat with mixture. Then place in a heatproof bowl.
4. Steam 45 minutes Remove squabs. Rinse off seasonings under cold running water. Dry well with paper toweling.
5. Rub skin lightly with soy sauce; return to heatproof bowl and steam 10 minutes more. Remove and let cool. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
6. Heat oil. Dredge squabs lightly in cornstarch; then add, one at a time, and deep-fry, turning and basting, until golden. Drain on paper toweling.
7. With a cleaver, chop each in quarters; garnish with lemon wedges