Deep Fried Fish Squares Szechwan Style
|Dried black mushrooms||2|
|Bamboo shoots||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh red chili pepper||1⁄2|
|Fresh ginger root slices||3|
|Lean pork||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fish fillets||1 Pound|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground chili pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Mince bamboo shoots, fresh chili pepper, scallion, ginger root and soaked mushrooms. Mince or grind the pork.
3. Cut fish fillets in 2-inch squares. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge lightly in flour.
4. Beat egg; then blend in sherry and remaining flour to make a batter. Dip fish squares in batter to coat.
5. Meanwhile heat oil. Add fish, a few pieces at a time, and deep-fry until light golden (about 2 minutes). Drain on paper toweling.
6. Heat the second quantity of oil. Add minced vegetables and stir-fry 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar and soy sauce to heat; then remove vegetables from pan.
7. Heat remaining oil. Add minced pork and stir-fry until it loses its pinkness (1 to 2 minutes). Add ground chili pepper and the second quantity of sherry; stir-fry another 2 minutes. Stir in remaining soy sauce.
8. Return vegetables. Add stock, hot pepper oil and remaining sherry. Stir to heat through. Add fish and simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes.
9. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste; then stir in to thicken. Stir in sugar and serve.