Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili
|Butternut squash||1 (peeled and cut into cubes)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (plus 1 tsp, divided)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm) (diced)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (divided)|
|Maple syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (plus 1/4 tsp, divided)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable stock||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Cooked black beans||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon (for topping)|
|Bacon||5 (slice, crumbled for topping)|
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Toss squash with 1 t olive oil, 1/4 t salt, and a pinch of pepper.
3. Roast on a baking sheet for 45-60 minutes, or until squash is tender (amount of time will vary depending on size of cubes). Check part way through roasting time to be sure it’s not burning. Rotate pan/flip squash if desired.
4. Cook bacon. Drain on paper towel and discard grease. Set aside.
5. Heat soup pot.
6. Add butter and remaining oil and brown (being careful not to let it burn). Add salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, cumin, onion, and carrot. Cook 10 minutes, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
7. Add garlic. Stir and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar, 1/2 T lemon juice, and maple syrup. Cook 3 minutes.
8. Add remaining lemon juice, beans, squash, and stock. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes. Turn heat down to low and cook 10 minutes more. Stir occasionally, and add more stock or water if needed.
9. Serve topped with bacon, parmesan cheese, and a lemon wedge to squeeze over top.
Calories 385 Calories from Fat 88
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.5%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12.8 mg4.3%
Sodium 1165.2 mg48.5%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g21.9%
Dietary Fiber 17.2 g68.6%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 13 g26.1%
Vitamin A 638.1% Vitamin C 100.8%
Calcium 26.4% Iron 19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet