Cracked Wheat Chili
|Dry pinto beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Canned green chiles||7 Ounce, rinsed, seeded (1 Can)|
|Canned tomatoes||15 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Cracked wheat||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||6 Ounce, well chilled|
1) Soak the beans in 3 cups of water overnight at room temperature.
2) In a pot, cook the beans over the range for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Alternately cook in a pressure cooker at 15 pounds pressure in the soaking water for 10 minutes.
3) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the garlic and onion until coarsely chopped.
4) Add the dried chiles and process until chopped medium-fine.
5) In a skillet, saute the onion mixture in 1 tablespoon oil over a medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes, until soft.
6) Add the tomatoes and liquid, honey, cumin, oregano, basil, salt and ground coriander to the processor bowl and
process until smooth.
7) Stir the cracked wheat and 1/2 cup water into the beans and bring to a boil.
8) Stir in the onion and tomato mixture, bring to a boil, then simmer covered over a low heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick.
9) In a processor bowl with the shredding disc, process the Cheddar cheese until shredded.
10) Spoon over brown rice on individual serving plates, top each with 1 oz shredded cheese and serve immediately.