1. Soak chickpeas in water for about 12 hours. Drain well.
2. Sprinkle baking soda on chickpeas and set it aside for 1 hour. Then, rinse well under running water.
3. In a large pot, place washed chickpeas and cover it with fresh water.
4. Place the pot on flame and bring the water to a simmer.
5. With a wooden spoon, ladle and remove the foam formed on top of water.
6. Drop olive oil, onion, and pepper. Give it a good stir. Cover, and cook for about an hour or until done.
7. Add salt and lemon juice in the pot. Turn off the flame. Taste and adjust seasoning of salt and pepper.
8. Serve chickpeas with smoked beef and green salad.
If you are using a speed cooker instead of pot then cover and cook chickpeas for about 20 minutes.