Grilled chicken is a spicy chicken based dish prepared by cooking chicken with grilling method. This dish is popular in almost all the cuisines. The chicken is often marinated before it is grilled, with the marinade differing from one recipe to the other. Marinating the chicken prior to grilling helps in enhancing the flavor of the dish. Various kinds of spices and sauces are used to augment the flavor of the grilled chicken dish. The dish can be prepared on charcoal grill, gas grill, or charcoal chimney, and commonly served with lemon wedges, fresh salsa, or garlic dip. A couple of popular dishes which are made with grilled chicken consist of grilled chicken pitas and grilled chicken cutlets.
Ingredients and Preparation
Grilled chicken recipe commonly suggests using cold water, sugar, chicken (with skin and bones), kosher salt, lime juice, limes, Asian fish sauce, minced garlic cloves, fresh mint, cilantro, red pepper flakes, and vegetable oil as the ingredients.
The preparation process involves first boiling together water, salt, and sugar for a few minutes, and then adding chicken to this solution (once the solution is completely cool). The chicken is allowed to soak in this solution for a few hours in refrigerator, and then removed and patted dry. Thereafter, the chicken is grilled and served after coating it with a mix of fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, mint, salt, red pepper flakes, and oil. Grilled lime halves are popularly served along with this dish. Cilantro and mint are used as the garnishing agents for the dish.
- Grilled chicken is often served with grilled lemon halves. The lemons are squeezed over chicken at the time of consumption for lemony flavor.
- The dish can be served along with spinach and pine nut pesto, which is a blend of pine nuts, spinach, lemon peel, lemon juice, olive oil, parmesan cheese, pepper, and salt.
- The dish can be paired with salsa or garlic dip.
- It can be served with brown or white rice.
Grilled Chicken Recipe Variations
A couple of variations of grilled chicken are discussed below:
- Grilled chicken with Dijon and Meyer lemon- The chicken is grilled after marinating it for around two hours in Dijon and Meyer lemon (citrus fruit native to China) mix, which is a blend of Meyer lemon juice, lemon zest, rosemary, Dijon mustard, crushed red pepper, rosemary, and olive oil. The chicken is then seasoned with salt, and grilled until the juices run clear. This dish possesses a mustard lemony flavor.
- Harissa marinated grilled chicken- this grilled chicken recipe suggests marinating chicken in harissa (hot chili sauce of North African cuisine) and then grilling it. The recipe for harissa involves sautéing together coriander, cumin, caraway seeds, and fennel; grinding them into coarse powder once cool; and processing the mix along with chopped dried chiles, chopped garlic, tomato paste, roasted red peppers, salt, and olive oil.
Popular Grilled Chicken Dishes
A couple of popular grilled chicken dishes have been discussed as under:
- Grilled chicken pitas- skinless chicken breasts are marinated in a mix of soy sauce, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic for around half an hour, and then grilled. Onion rings are placed in a basket and grilled until they turn black. Thereafter, pita bread slices are grilled and each slice is topped with grilled chicken pieces, onion rings, tomato-feta mix (a mixture of tomatoes, feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano), olives, lettuce, bacon slice, and yogurt sauce (a mix of yogurt, walnuts, olive oil, and garlic). The pitas are then served after sprinkling pepper and salt on top and folding up the sides of bread.
- Grilled chicken cutlet parmigiana- chicken breast cutlets are grilled after seasoning with pepper and salt, and drizzling with olive oil. Thereafter, they are broiled in a casserole saucier after layering them with a sauce made with olive oil, garlic, chopped onions, crushed red pepper flakes, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and basil, and topping with mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Grilled Chicken Health and Nutrition Facts
Grilled chicken is enriched with the goodness of chicken with 150 g of chicken meat providing around 231 calories, obtained from 5 g of fat, 119 mg of cholesterol, 104 mg of sodium, and 43 g of protein. Chicken is a good option for health conscious people as it is high in proteins and low in fat.