Chicken juice is a term usually usd to refer to the juice that is left over in the pan after cooking the chicken. The juice along with the fat in the pan can be used to prepare a number of nourishing dishes. The chicken juice is extracted by cooking the fowl extensively for 15 minutes or more as the presence of salmonella in raw poultry can prove to be hazardous to health.
The juice that is used for cooking can also be made by boiling the skin, bones, and wings of chicken for at least fifteen minutes. Seasoning the juice can be simple with salt and pepper being the only basic ingredients needed. However, additional herbs like thyme, coriander, and parsley are often added to impart flavor and the juice is strained out. It is usually stored in the refrigerator and can be utilized for a week. Gelatinous masses of frozen chicken juice can also be used for flavoring soups and stews.
Chicken Juice Benefits
The juice is extremely nutritious being high in protein content with very little fat.
- It contains almost all vitamins and essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus which boost up the immune system.
- It has been known to ease the congestion of nasal passage when consumed hot.
- Bones in the chicken juice makes is a rich source of calcium which can have a positive effect on bone and dental health.
- It is easy to digest.
- It contains gelatin in the form of collagen protein which is believed to have anti ageing properties.
Chicken Juice: Buying Tips
Flavorful juices extracted from the chicken can be bought commercially in the form of:-
- Stock- A thin gruel like chicken based liquid which is available in cans and other forms of packages. It often contains mono sodium glutamate for additional flavor and preservation.
- Broth- A liquid made by boiling the meaty parts of chicken is available in cans too. The commercially available broths are low in sodium and can be used to prepare soups by just reheating them.
- Boullion-A cube or solid granule consisting of condensed chicken juice. They contain a number of chemical additives and are not considered healthy for regular consumption.