Chicken Mushroom Roll-Ups With Tomato Cumin Sauce
|Red onion||1⁄2 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely minced|
|Sliced white button mushrooms||16 Ounce (About 4 Cups)|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme/1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves||4 , enderloin removed, reserve for another use and trimmed of excess fat|
|Achiote powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Thyme sprigs||1 (For Garnish)|
|Canned diced tomatoes||28 Ounce, drained|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Paprika||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
1. To make the sauce, place the tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, and paprika in a food processor and pulse until well combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream and process until combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside on your counter or in the refrigerator.
2. To make the chicken, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring a couple of times, until the mushrooms release their moisture, about 10 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Add the sherry, thyme, and coriander and continue to cook until the mixture is dry, another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
3. Place 1 chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and, using a flat meat mallet or rolling pin, pound until the chicken is ¼ inch thick. Repeat with the other 3 breasts. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the skin side of the chicken evenly with ground achiote powder and turn it over (this will be the outside of the roll). Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the mushroom mixture in the center of the chicken breast and wrap the top and bottom flaps tightly around the filling. Fold the sides around to make a nice little package. Tightly wrap the stuffed breast in a 12 x 18-inch sheet of plastic wrap, twisting the ends like a candy wrapper. Knot the ends and wrap the roll in a sheet of aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining breasts and filling.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the chicken packages and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer the chicken for 18 minutes. Carefully remove the rolls from the water and set aside to cool slightly.
5. While the chicken cools, place the tomato-cumin sauce in a small saucepan over medium-high heat to warm through. Using kitchen shears, cut the ends off of the foil packets and carefully remove the foil and plastic from each rolled breast (use tongs if it’s still hot). Slice each breast into ½-inch discs. Place the sliced rounds on a plate, drizzle with some sauce, and serve.